I had been experiencing a somewhat erratic and intermittent SWR/Tuning problem. Sometimes the tuning cycle would never end, and the only way out was to turn the controller off. As I was soon to be moving house, I simply ignored it, and packed up the loop. It was when I came to install the loop at my new location that I discovered the problem - a mouse nest! A mouse had made a very comfortable nest for itself in the bottom mounting box of the loop. This box is hollow, and obviously there is sufficient room for a small animal to enter. I cleaned out the nest, and blew out any remnants with compressed air, and this seems to have solved the problem. It might pay to occasionally examine the mounting box for unwanted residents!
1 dic 2019
Just to make sure it wasn't band conditions that was affecting my results, I applied the same comparative testing on 40 meters. These pictures were taken seconds apart and show the same diminished results in gain and poor SWR when using the Stealth Loop placed outdoors on my patio (ANT1) as compared to the dipole antenna located in my attic (ANT2). While the ATU is showing a 1.0:1 match, the radio is seeing well over 3.0:1 to the extent that the power is automatically reeled back to protect the finals. The only variable from the other two days of operating this antenna is that it is raining today. It is in the same place and configuration as the other two days since I first began using it.